Monday, November 10, 2008

The first day................


I took this excerpt directly from my brother's posting on dad's caring bridge website.


Today was a long, tough day beginning with Joe and Maureen arriving at St. John's at 8:30 A.M. Joe was immediately hooked up to IV's of anti- nausea medication as well as saline to flush his system. He was then administered an IV of Cisplaten Chemo, followed by another system flush. He stayed in the same room for the rest of of the morning, where he and Maureen were joined by his brother-in-law John and John's wife Molly. At 1:00, he walked over to the Radiation Therapy Center and received his radiation treatment. An hour later, he went back to the Chemo Infusion Center where a pump was installed to administer the second type of chemo. This pump is hooked up through a little pouch that he wears around his waist that looks like a fanny pack. The pump is set to continually pump the chemo into his system. He will wear it for four days and have it removed on Friday. So far he has not had any side effects or problems with the treatments, but the side effects (nausea and fatigue) sometimes take a few days to manifest themselves.

The picture is what dad's fanny pack thingy for chemo looks like. Just thought some of you would like to know!


Tomorrow I may have to drive dad to and from Radiation, so I will probably post again after I get home from work. We have one day down.............. thats progress in my eyes! :) Have a great night, and I will post soon!

No comments: